The annual / quarterly performance review, when done well, can help align leader and employee, connect your team and organizational goals. It can also be a catalyst for employee growth. A well-planned annual performance review gives both the employee and the manager feedback to be successful.
I broke it up into 6 different parts
- Overall Performance
- Employee Strengths
- Areas of Improvement
- Current Role
- Future Outlook
- Manager <> Employee Relations
Performance Review Questions: Overall Performance
- What accomplishments this quarter are you most proud of?
- Which goals did you meet? Which goals fell short?
- What motivates you to get your job done?
- What can I do to make your job more enjoyable?
- What are your ideal working conditions to be the most productive?
Performance Review Questions: Employee Strengths
- What personal strengths help you do your job effectively?
- What makes you the best fit for your position?
- What skills do you have that you believe we could use more effectively?
- What kind of work comes easiest to you?
Performance Review Questions: Areas of Improvement
- What goals/deliverables were you least proud of? Why? How will you do those differently in the future?
- What 2-3 things will you focus on in the next quarter to help you grow and develop?
- What can I do to help you better meet your goals?
Performance Review Questions: Current Role
- Which job responsibilities/tasks do you enjoy most? Which do you least enjoy?
- How do you think your role helps the company succeed?
- What do you like least about your current role? What would you change?
- What do you like most about working for this company?
Performance Review Questions: Future Outlook
- What are your most important goals for the next quarter?
- What do you want your next position at this company to be? How would your responsibilities change?
- What professional growth opportunities would you like to explore in order to get there?
- What type of career growth is most important to you?
Performance Review Questions: Manager <> Employee Relationship
- What (if any) concerns do you have when it come to giving me feedback? How can I alleviate those concerns?
- How do you prefer to receive feedback and/or recognition for your work?
- What are two to three things could I do differently to better manage you?
- What do I do that is most/least helpful for you when it comes to completing your work?
- What can we do to improve our relationship?
Performance Review Follow-Up Tips
- Our next formal performance review will be on _____________ .
- In the meantime, I want you to focus on _________________ . Come prepared to our one-on-one ready to discuss your progress.