“By all means marry; if you get a good wife/husband, you’ll become happy; if you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.” – Socrates.
With divorce rates at an all time high. It’s important to be sure of the decision you are making. Marriage can be a beautiful thing. But it requires a lot of work. Work which doesn’t seem like Work if you are in it for the right reasons.
The great marriages are partnerships. It can’t be a great marriage without being a partnership.
Some good reasons to get married:
- You are in love with one another.
- A desire to share your life with another.
- To have a lifetime companion.
- You both have realistic expectations and shared goals.
- You would feel comfortable doing premarital counseling to make certain this is the right choice.
- You want to feel connected with a person you love and to grow with that person emotionally.
- Willingness to be there for one another while you each fulfill your own needs and dreams.
- You both do not have blinders on and have spent enough time together to know it’s the right choice.
Some really silly reasons to get married to anyone:
- You feel too guilty or ashamed to back out when plagued with doubt.
- You are willing to gamble on your future spouse changing or having potential.
- You want to be free from parents.
- To have sex.
- To ease loneliness.
- To be happy.
- To show you are an adult.
- Because of a pregnancy. While I do believe you should only have children when you are married to that person. Don’t marry the person to give your child any parental figure. Marry the person who will be a great parental figure for your child.
- Just because he or she loves you. Definitely don’t do this. This will fade once they figure out you don’t love them in the same manner.
- To save, rescue, or help someone.
- Because you want a baby.
- Because all your friends are married.
- You’ve always wanted a fancy wedding. Or to wear a fancy dress.
- Out of fear that no one else will want to marry you.
- You think you are running out of time to get married. You might be, but choose wisely.
- To have someone to “complete” you. That is an implanted thought by Disney 🤦🏽♂️
- You are tired of being single.
- Someone is pressuring you into getting married.
- You don’t want people gossiping about the two of you living together.
Some really bad reasons to get married but I guess can be justified if your true meaning in life is just to scam the system:
- To get health or insurance benefits from the spouse’s employer.
- For immigration purposes.
- For money. Don’t be a d.b. 🤪
If you are questioning who you are marrying then it’s a good chance you shouldn’t be marrying them. It’s best to wait and be sure.
Life is beautiful when you marry your best friend. Some pictures from my wedding: